Thursday, June 07, 2007

Sansa M240 LCD Replacement

I have a GP2X which I used to listen to podcasts with, but I decided it was too bulky to carry around without a jacket pocket on these warm summers, so I bought a Sansa M240 mp3 player. I loved the fact that it had a AAA battery and a simple LCD screen that didn't need backlighting to see well. Also, I didn't need that bloatware iTunes to get music onto it -just drag and drop like a USB keydrive.

So, I put this in my pocket along with my car keys and somehow it cracked the LCD screen...

I decided to try and fix it by buying a broken Sansa (which didn't have a broken LCD) from eBay, and then just move the LCD to the working Sansa. There are about 50 contacts the LCD makes to the Sansa and it looks like they used epoxy to mount the LCD. I discovered where to buy some silver electrically conductive epoxy, but it was $25. I then found out that Radio Shack sells a CircuitWriter Pen which write ink with silver in it for about $5! My plan was to mount the LCD close enough to the contacts and then fill in the gaps with the pen.



So, I removed the bad LCD and tried to use the CircuitWriter pen to establish the contacts. Unfortunately, there were just too many small contacts, too close together, and the ink from the pen dries too quickly and starts to clump up. I tried to clear the contacts with a pin scrape between each one with no luck. It failed completely!

Basically, now I have a 1gb keydrive which also requires a USB dongle and a AAA battery...

I ended up buying the new Sansa Express which has a builtin lithium-polymer battery which charges from the USB connection.

UPDATE:
I saw a Sansa M230 (512MB version) on sale at BigLots for $29 so I couldn't resist and I bought it. I still really like the Sansa Express I bought, but the M230 has a bigger screen that scrolls all of the mp3 id3 tag info instead of truncating it the screen also never turns off. It's really great for podcasts.

No comments: